View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
inthewings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
This isn't the case though. Luongo is a top 3 goalie right now. By "right now", I mean this season so far, aswell as recent seasons (nominated for Vezina in 2011, means he's top 3). So the rest of your post isn't that persuasive.
What teams would be interested? Let's first look at what teams are not likely interested:

Anaheim - Hiller
Boston - Rask
Buffalo - Miller
Carolina - Ward
Calgary - Kiprusoff
Colorado - Varlamov
Dallas - Lehtonen
Detroit - Howard, Mrazek coming
LA - Quick, Bernier
Minnesota - Backstrom, Harding, Hackett and Kuemper coming
Montreal - Price
Nashville - Rinne
NJ - Brodeur
NYR - Lundqvist
Ott - Anderson, Lehner
Phi - Bryzgalov
Phx - Smith
Pit - Fleury
SJ - Niemi, Greiss
St. Louis - Halak, Elliott
TB - Lindback
Win - Pavelec

IMO the above 22 teams are all comfortable enough in goal that the assets (both trade and financial) to acquire Luongo are better spent upgrading areas of bigger weakness than pursuing a marginal (in most cases) upgrade in net. I'd be shocked if any of these are in on him.

The following 4 teams may have a need, but for various reasons don't strike me as being great candidates:

Was - GMGM has come and out said the contract is prohibitive.
Columbus - Just acquired Bobrovsky, and Luongo's contract just doesn't fit Davidson's MO.
Florida - Aren't going to compete this year, and have Markstrom waiting in the wings.
NYI - Have Nabokov now, Poulin/Nilsson/Koskinen waiting, and saw the DiPietro deal blow up.

IMO that leaves three teams as likely suitors, and even then Chicago has Crawford and cap issues.

Chicago
Edmonton
Tor

Luongo is fantastic, but you have to figure that teams wouldn't be lining up to give him 9/5.333 cap hit as a 34-year old free agent this offseason. Even less so to give up assets for the privilege of locking him in at that rate.

Not only will teams have to see him as more than a marginal upgrade to bite, they'll also have to figure that they can't get a bigger upgrade at another position for 9/5.333 + trade chips it would take to land him.