View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I don't know everytime someone brings it up, I remember Corsi trying saying hunny was better than EJ. It's fine if you feel different but I'd rather watch the games and form my own opinion.
Sure. If you look at that stat and no others it may yield that. That's why I said no one stat defines a player, and that any stat has to be placed in context. I was corrected when I whined about EJ's deplorable +/- at the start of the season. It was bad, yes, but when you realized where some of those minuses came from (Hejda's crappy play, the record amount of empty netters the Avs gave up last season) it wasn't as bad as it appeared.

The only stats I view very warily are ones like hits, takeaways/giveaways, etc. Not because of the stats themselves, but because they're measured so arbitrarily...again though, it just has to be taken in context. I'm confident Cal Clutterbuck is one of the better hitters in the league, and Ryan O'Reilly is one of the better players in the league in takeaways, but it's highly unlikely that every one of those respective stats measured was legit.

I highly recommend behindthenet.ca, they always put together some very interesting metrics to look at.