View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran journeyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
So now there is criticism of the criticism? Someone explain this to me because I don't get it. The team played poorly, and for some of the players that is nothing new. Our top line as-is is not a real 1st line. Our coach leaves quite a bit to be desired. If not for special teams this club would be bottom feeding, which is a good thing, but the special teams are on a roll that can't be sustained forever. The team has performed better than it should by record.

The league is still adjusting to a 30 way tie and re-adjournment in January. More truing of our record will occur starting at that point.

I see 0% panic, hot/cold innuendo, or bipolar analysis there. IMO, 20 games tells a much truer story than the first ten. If you go back through the Islander's past three season that is exactly what happened.
Effective special teams is a good thing, not a bad thing. Better to use it as a strength than be in last place because it's not working at any end of the ice...like we used to have to suffer through. And they're eighth in the league in 5-on-5 goals for per game, so it's not like they flat out can't put the puck in the net unless they're on a power play.

Believe me, I'm not saying all is great. This team has a mountain to climb and a ton to prove before I'll even allow myself to entertain the thought that this season might be different than last. But yesterday's game isn't the hands-thrown-up-in-frustration outing that makes me say "Same old Islanders!" Up until the last three+ minutes, both teams had some chances, both teams took away some chances; both teams blew some chances. It was fairly even play throughout, and the goalies kept things scoreless.

I don't blame the late call entirely for the loss. We all know that bad calls happen, and the Isles benefitted from a couple of not-so-good calls earlier in the game and didn't capitalize. But still...it's tough to argue that the game wouldn't have been a 1-0 OT contest for either side if Strait doesn't go off for throwing a check, in which case the tone here would probably be different.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote