View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He is too small for the style he plays. Instead of relying on reflexes, Bernier seems to rely more heavily on positioning, but that usually inhibits him from making saves through traffic. He has a tough time finding the puck through screens, and his butterfly doesn't cover much of the net, again, due to his size.

I don't know if it is his size or his style (or combination of both) that is going to prevent him from becoming a starter, but what bothers me most is his nonchalant demeanor. I just wonder if he has the drive to take his game to the next level.
His lack of size is his most limiting aspect, no doubt. This is a very valid concern, and perhaps the reason he will never be a top end starter, IMO. He does play a very positional game, it's rare that small positional goalies do well, that's true.

Quote:
One of the reasons that concerns me is that he never really stood out as being the top goalie at every level he played at.

As I mentioned earlier, he's had opportunities to be that guy, whether it be in the AHL, juniors, the WJC, and Spengler Cup, but for some reason or another, others pass him by. I understand that his infrequent starts as a backup goalie in the NHL may lead to some struggles, but there are other backup goalies who played just as much as Bernier last season and posted better numbers than him. Guys like Lindback, Joey MacDonald, Greiss, Budaj, Bachman all posted a better save percentage when playing a similar amount of games. Hell even Jason LaBarbera had a better save percentage.
This though, is quite simply not true. In juniors he was arguably the best goalie in the QMJHL his draft year.

In the AHL, he stepped right into the starting role at 20. He was splitting time with Quick pre-Quick recall at worst, if not playing more than Quick. Then stepped up as the starter the rest of the year. In 09-10 he was named the best goaltender in the AHL, at just 21 years old. Was 1st in SVP among all starting goalies in the AHL, if that's not stepping up as a starter, I don't know what is.

Quote:
I think a big part of his game that is lacking is concentration and vision. That's what hurts a lot of goalies and prevents them from becoming a starter. We saw it first hand with Jamie Storr and Mathieu Garon, goalies the Kings believed would be their starting goalie of the future. It's looking like Bernier will fall under that group as well as he's not going to be in a Kings uniform for much longer.
I don't think so. Goalies like Garon rely heavily on athleticism, and as a result struggle mightily with consistency.

A goalie like Bernier does not. He does not seem to get hot like a Garon, but I don't think he'll go cold as bad as a Garon, nor will he go as hot. He is a goalie that thrives on consistency, playing regularly, getting in rhythm. The exact opposite of a Garon, IMO.

A goalie a might use as a comparable would be a Sergei Bobrovsky. Not a big goaltender, relies positioning and be consistent, playing consistently. Did well playing as a starter for PHI (2.59gaa, .915svp in 54gp in 10-11), but struggled coming off the bench and not playing regularly (3.02gaa, .899svp in 34gp in 11-12). Now seems to be refinding his game playing regularly in Columbus.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote