View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The more I think about this trade, the more I love it.

Rupp wasn't getting much time, and was not the player he once was. I felt he actually skated very well in TB but Torts still didn't use him much after the first, if at all. His knee issue really set him back and who knows if it can become even more of an issue going forward for a big man. I hope that isn't the case for him and Minny, I wish him all the luck.

But in Powe, you instantly get a player who's going to play 5-7 min more than Rupp was, in multiple situations. Hes a very good PKer and this team desperately needs that. He's twice as fast as Rupp. He blocked more shots than Callahan last season. He's a cheaper contract. Win, win, win, win, win.

It's very possible Slats traded a guy who's already played under 6 minutes 4 times this season, for a Steven McDonald award winner AND a young reclamation project. And he did it "early" in the season. Other than Rupps intangibles, there's no loss in this trade.
This is essentially how I view the deal as well. Little moves like this can be very underrated but pay a lot of dividends. Just Powe's defensive game and speed will be very welcome on that 4th line. If Mashinter can just skate and forecheck in addition to his fights our 4th could look a lot better. Ditch Asham and go for a slightly younger, faster look.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote