View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Effective special teams is a good thing, not a bad thing. Better to use it as a strength than be in last place because it's not working at any end of the ice...like we used to have to suffer through. And they're eighth in the league in 5-on-5 goals for per game, so it's not like they flat out can't put the puck in the net unless they're on a power play.

Believe me, I'm not saying all is great. This team has a mountain to climb and a ton to prove before I'll even allow myself to entertain the thought that this season might be different than last. But yesterday's game isn't the hands-thrown-up-in-frustration outing that makes me say "Same old Islanders!" Up until the last three+ minutes, both teams had some chances, both teams took away some chances; both teams blew some chances. It was fairly even play throughout, and the goalies kept things scoreless.

I don't blame the late call entirely for the loss. We all know that bad calls happen, and the Isles benefitted from a couple of not-so-good calls earlier in the game and didn't capitalize. But still...it's tough to argue that the game wouldn't have been a 1-0 OT contest for either side if Strait doesn't go off for throwing a check, in which case the tone here would probably be different.
But they need to stop giving up so many goals. Special teams are only going to get worse. You can't rely on them every game to make up the difference.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote