View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
It has been said that one of the only currencies a coach has over a player is ice-time. I have no problem benching a player, especially a young one, for them to learn and play better for it.

As for not giving them more ice-time, you've got to remember a couple of things:

1) This team has had problems in the past not playing a full 60 minutes and/or taking their foot off the gas. I think it was really important to establish some confidence of just how good they could be when they play their full game for, well, the full game.

2) It's very possible that Despres and Bortuzzo have not played a lot together ever before, and certainly not at all at the NHL level. We may have had a healthy lead, but WSH is still a dangerous team, and you've got to wean those guys in, especially if they don't have that familiarity. If DB wants to pair them up, let them at least practice together and get some games in for a while before you start giving them too much responsibility. Even then, I don't think it will happen yet, and I don't want it to, because I don't like the idea of 2 rookies playing together. I like having a younger guy paired with a vet to provide stability, though Letang looked REALLY uncomfortable with Despres the other day. That is why I think Despres will be going back down to WBS soon, or may be a top candidate for trade if DJ or Boychuk don't light the world on fire.
Even if that vet is Lovejoy?

Knowing our injury history, I'm not so willing to trade Despres away knowing that it'd make Lovejoy the #7 again.

Hikaru Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote