View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I have to say, in no way does this effect my opinion of the trade, which IMO is pure win for us, but I like Mike Rupp. He was never meant to be an enforcer. He took on the role here for two reasons; first, no one else was really willing/able (besides Bickel, who lives on the bench) and second, his effectiveness took an obvious dive and thus, team guy that he is, he dropped the gloves a bit more than expected in an effort to try and provide something and still be serviceable. Now, Rupp was always meant to be a big, tough, physical presence who WILL drop the gloves, but he wasn't supposed to be some kind of heavyweight. He was supposed to be a really good fourth line grinder who hits hard and is a pain to play against. He just slowed down too much and can't really keep up or play to his former standards. He WAS a really good fourth liner earlier in his career and he seems like a great team guy. Very likable player and I wish him all the best in Minnesota. Just couldn't really contribute anymore and we needed to get faster and squeeze a bit more out of our depth guys. When I say "good riddance" to Rupper, I mean it more to his contract and his slow feet. I'll actually miss Rupp a wee bit, despite being very happy to be rid of his cap hit and such a slow player on the ice.
agreed, I was one of those who was really happy when we signed him, but he just wasn't an effective player here. Hopefully he gets it going in Minny

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote