Thread: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 12:21 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, so that guys like Jeff Francoeur can suck ass, but because they look and act like baseball players, scouts keep them in a high regard.
Not sure the point you're trying to make. The same scouts you're trying to discredit have essentially built this Rangers team minus the top line. Our Vezina winning goalie was a 7th rounder. I guess they suck though?

Quote:
Stepan historically has not looked nearly as bad as you are trying to make it sound like, and the points back that up. You're wrong. Listening 5 teams with more than one elite center (except maybe Boston, but in which your beloved scouts have said Stepan has Patrice Bergeron potential anyway) doesn't change the fact Stepan has established himself as a 2C.
Potential doesn't put the puck in the net. I'm not suggesting Stepan will never be an elite 2C in his career. I'm suggesting his stats are misleading and that he's not the 2C this team needs at the moment. Unless, like I said a thousand times, he decides to show up like he did against TB an offensive upgrade at 2C would do this team a world of good.

Quote:
Just because Evgeni Malkin and Vinny Lecavalier are technically second line centers doesn't mean they wouldn't be first liners elsewhere.
No doubt. But the fact remains they are second line centers because their teams are that good up front. I would like to see our team be ALMOST as good up front (shocker, I know..). I guess our strategy should just be to pray we avoid TB BOS and PIT in a 7 game series. It worked last year but we're not getting that lucky this year

I say roll the team as is for now with the Rupp trade. Let them build chemistry when Callahan gets back. See how Kreider looks. If we still look offensively anemic Slats needs to do something with the top 6 at the deadline. See potential cheap options: J.Jokinen, N.Antropov, etc.

I still don't get why people are getting butt hurt over moving Stepan to the 3rd line. This team would be ridiculously deep and even better with Stepan on the 3rd line