View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
also, I'm not entirely sure that the popularity of football actually lies in Ed Reed trying to decapitate whoever happens to be holding the ball. That kind of hitting is a relatively recent addition to the game (you had guys like Jack Tatum, but most safeties didn't hit like that), yet football has been at least the second most popular team sport in the US since the early 1900's. Contrary to popular belief, the NFL was already surpassing MLB long before 1994, too.
Seriously? Were you around to watch the NFL in the 70s and 80s? Because it was far, far more violent back then. Lot of hits back then have been taken out of the game, like what Tatum did with his hook tackles, chop blocking, etc.

Nobody wants to hear this, but the biggest problem in football is the equipment. Same deal with hockey, where the added "protection" provides a feeling of invulnerability. Helmets do virtually nothing to protect against brain injuries. They're actually the source of a lot of trauma. Same with hockey and the ridiculous shoulder and elbow "pads" that are better at causing concussions than they are at protecting their wearers.

I can see a lot of heat coming for football over the next decade or so. I can also see someone finally coming up with proper head protection that deals with the concussion issue once and for all in both football and hockey. Too much money involved here. There will be breakthroughs. I wouldn't be surprised if we see totally new head-gear in football within a few years.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote