View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Mithrandir
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
You're right that plus/minus numbers can often be misleading. But having not watched Powe play every day, I wonder why Minnesota would unload him for so little if they were not disappointed with him. Even good defensive players are a liability if they cannot score, and I suspect that is his problem. I'm not against the trade, and I welcome adding another penalty killer to the roster, but I'll reserve my optimism until I see him fit in with the Rangers.
I remember being very impressed with Powe when he was in Philly and a lot of Flyers posters have agreed with that. I believe Minnesota is pretty deep in terms of players in Powe's mold but do not have any tough customers and were looking to add a bit of an enforcer/big man and that is why they were willing to move him for Rupp. We watched Rupp every game and were frustrated with him but Rupp has a very good reputation league-wide and, if he played like he used to, provides something Minnesota is lacking. They're under performing thus far and I think they wanted to add that tough guy/good locker room guy who stands up for teammates in hopes of helping to change the direction a bit. I've also read the opinion that they added Palmieri because they were at the contract limit and this move is likely a precursor to something larger for them in the coming days and sending 2 for 1 opens a contract spot for them. They also, supposedly, knew that Palmieri was not content playing in Houston and gave the NY native a break sending him back home.

Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote