View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Tough to separate the roster from the coach in this situation. Eric Staal has been outstanding under Muller and has gotten as much mileage out of him as Laviolette did, which is good for this team on a nightly basis. However, I don't like how quick he is to move away from combinations that seem to be generating some chemistry. I don't like the fact that he hasn't been able to incorporate the kids into meaningful roles, Faulk and Skinner notwithstanding. Converting Bowman into a grinder is a total WTF move, but it is what it is.

Again, a lot of questions revolve around if he has been given the right players to build a bottom six or if he's not doing a good job utilizing the players he has to play there. On paper, they should be fairly productive but they just aren't at all. Larose has taken a nosedive under Muller. Guys like Nodl, Brent, Stewart, etc. look lost or have looked lost for extended periods of time.
I think it's time to stop blaming coaching for "not finding meaningful roles" for the kids. Right now the Canes have a 20 year old in their top 6 forwards, a 20 year old in their top 4 D, and have Bowman playing a regular 3rd line shift and killing penalties. It's time to face the facts that the guys we always refer to (the wasted talents the Canes couldn't use probably) were never as good as they were hyped up to be.

I really don't understand why anyone would disagree with Bowman becoming a 3rd line grinder. His shot was deadly in juniors but NHL goalies are like much better than WHL goalies and he doesn't have much else in his arsenal. With the current setup the only place you could flip Bowman to give him a more meaningful role is for Tlusty who is a much better all around player than Bowman. Would make no sense.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote