View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
it all go's back to who/what we can get! .... i would rather trade high priced old for low priced youth. and we all ready have some of the youth waiting to play

I agree to a large extent. But nonetheless, we may still have to make a decision, especially if we feel like we want to/have to retain one of these guys for next season's run.

Based on pure asset value alone, we would be best to move Brooks this summer, because he will have 1 year before he becomes a UFA, whereas Martin has 2 years before he becomes a UFA. So Brooks' value could sharpley decine the longer we hold on to him.

Looking at our depth chart, I see a lot of guys who can step in and play the left side, which Brooks does: Despres (if we keep him) will be ready by next year, and I believe Harrington and Dumoulin would be, as well. Add Niskanen to the left-side mix, and potentially Martin moving over to the left-side, as well. For example:

Despres/Dumoulin-Letang
Martin/Orpik-Bortuzzo
Niskanen-Engelland

And Harrington will be knocking on the door, and guys like Morrow or Samuelsson might be ready for call-ups to the NHL to replace and injured guy. And if we had to slash payroll to accommodate an Iginla/Perry type player, then we could see both of those guys get moved.