View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Vitamin C can kill you and it's in fruit. Time to burn down the orchards.
As I noted above, even pure water can kill you. In fact, damn well anything can kill you at the right dosage.

The problem, as pointed out in the first response by NFS and that I expanded on in my post, is that this article is ignoring the dosage requirement and changing "Fluoride is dangerous at high exposure levels", as the paper quoted is trying to actually say, into "Fluoride is dangerous", and trying to then state/imply that the Fluoride levels in the western world is high enough to meet the levels stated in the paper to result in the specific effects. As I showed, in reality, the average levels in the western world are nowhere near high enough to be relevant to the results in the paper cited.

It's the mark of a poor scientific journalist to post information about a finding and not fully explain its implications. Honestly, the link posted here is Daily Fail-level material.

PS: Here's a source for the 0.03ppm of Fluoride in water I noted earlier. For the record, some sources state as high as 0.1 ppm, but that's the upper limit. While that upper limit seems to suggest larger issues (at 0.1ppm, you'd reach 1ppm in 10 litres, or 40 glasses of water, which, while still high, is no longer in the "you'd die of water poisoning before you have to worry about the Fluoride leves" range), children, who are the centre of this story, generally are going to be able to drink much less than adults, so that 1 litre of water per hour number is likely much lower for them. With that being the case, 10 litres is still probably right around the limit of the amount a child could drink before water intoxication. I'm currently unable to find the exact levels of water absorption levels for children, though, so this is just from my own intuition.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 02-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote