View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Run the Jewels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Renney has been awful with the special teams, and there is no reason to make excuses for him.

Our 2 powerplay units are so lopsided that its laughable.

He's got 5 of our best 6 offensive players stacked on the 1st unit and as a result has nobody but Flip to play on the 2nd unit.

On top of that he has a forward on defence with an overly aggressive offensive defenceman, which has led to 2 shorthanded goals against. Even our good unit is only +3 goals on the PP.

If he were to spread some of the offensive talent around I think we'd have a better PP, especially with Brunner playing with Wing instead of the point. He could even roll out the top 2 scoring lines with our best for shooting defenceman and have a more balance PP.

So far I'm not impressed at all with Renney.
Well I think we're saying much the same thing. You just think there's enough talent to spread across two PP units with Brendan Smith getting his first extended NHL action before being injured. White has been injured. I'm not much of a Sammy fan but he was supposed to be out there and at least he's probably capable of putting a shot on net, a feat that is unthinkable with most of the guys on the 2nd PP unit.

If you look at the numbers our top PP unit is getting a bunch of IT. Z, Pavs, Mule, Brunner and Kronner are all getting close to 5 mins per game of PP time. Here are their point totals per 60 min game:

Z: 4.17
Kronwall: 4.23
Mule: 2.99
Brunner: 1.53
Pavs: 4.58

Toews, Sharp, Kane and Leddy all average between 4-5 points per 60 mins. Keith is off the charts at 6.53. Hossa is only at 2.57. The difference is Chicago has good skill and scoring depth. They're not relying on Johnny Oduya, Michael Frolik and Niklas Hjalmarsson to contribute to their PP. Even with that being the case they do have some secondary guys who get time on the 2nd PP unit who generate no offense. That list includes Andrew Shaw and Viktor Stalberg.

On our 2nd unit Cleary and Kindl are getting close to 4 mins per 60 mins. Those guys are not skilled NHL guys who can hurt a team when on the PP. They are the equivalent of putting Michael Frolik and Niklas Hjalmarsson on the power play. I mean literally here are the points per 60 mins generated on the PP from our 2nd unit.

Bert: 0
Fil: 0
Cleary: 0
Kindl: 0
Smith: 0
Quincey: 0

So basically you're going 2 against 4 when it comes to guys who have any idea what to do with the puck. Bert and Fil. Smith will become a good power play guy when he gets healthy and gets more NHL games under his belt. Cleary, Kindl and Quincey have a lot of data to show who they are and I'm sorry but they are not skilled NHL players.

I've argued the solution is to add guys like Tatar and Nyquist to the lineup. Hopefully Tatar gets a chance to show us what he's got and if that's the case then he makes the most of the chance.