Thread: Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
People seem to think we are deeper at forward but they aren't taken into consideration where those forwards will play. Yes, we have Silf, Zbad, Stone, Prince, Noesen, etc. Let's assume everyone hits their potential. None of those guys are top line forwards. If he tops out on his potential, Zbad is a borderline #1 centre. Meanwhile, if they all reach their potential, with Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Weircoch, our top 4 is set. We need top-line offence. BPA still, but that's our need, not D-men.
I believe Stone and Silfverberg both have 1st line upside. With Stone, you're talking about a guy who was the leading goal scorer at the WJC amongst the best of his peers a year ago. His skating could hold him back, but he has PPG potential in the NHL. But significant risk too. I think Silvferberg's potential is also that of a first line winger who can score you 30 goals year in and year out. A little less risk than Stone, but perhaps a little less overall offensive upside too. And I would say both Stone and Silf have higher potential than ZBad actually, albeit with more risk. I don't ever see Mika as a #1 center, although he perhaps could be a winger on a 1st line. But he is as safe a 19 year old forward as they come in terms of being a pro for a long time.

On D, I don't see Wiercioch or Ceci as #1 d-men, although I can buy an argument for Ceci in that echelon at least. He has top pairing upside I suppose. And I'd agree that when you factor in Karlsson and Cowen our upside on D at the top end is higher, but when you already have a young Norris trophy winner in your top 4, that's usually going to be the case. Tons of questions around the rest of our D prospects.

Either way, I hope our scouts draft the BPA available in the 1st round (ideally the 2nd round too), regardless of how they see it stacked up. Tough to tell who will pan out and who won't.