View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
northvanman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Holly,

One factor I often wonder about at the end of the season is teams "coasting" once they've clinched their playoff spot. It has to be a bit harder to keep focused when you go into a game knowing it has no impact. On the other hand, their opponent might be battling for their playoff lives. I wonder how much impact this has on top teams being "upset" late in the season.

We also know some coaches will deliberately rest players who are a bit dinged up once they've clinched, or delay working injured players back into the lineup. How do we measure this?

I don't have any answers. Just curious what other people might think about this, and how it affects the rankings late in the season.
This is exactly what happened with Western last year. They had only lost 2 games in regulation in their first 26, went into the final weekend of the regular season with first place wrapped up and dropped both of their games (including a 9-5 drubbing from last place UOIT...UOIT!!). Didn't seem to affect them in the playoffs though. They are in the same position again this year, with the exception being that one of their games this week is against Brock, who have played them tough all year and who may be their first round opponent - I'm guessing they'd rather play UOIT in the first round so will be motivated to do what they can to make that happen.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote