View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Well, I'm assuming that now you know that they were wrong because Justin Faulk is the greatest thing Canes defenseman since Glen Wesley.

I'm kidding.

Yeah, *that's* what I want. I want analysis. I remember suggesting to Forslund years ago (when he was available via e-mail) that they should do something like what Jaworski does on ESPN where he shows movement, highlighting players, showing their responsibilities, then showing a different angle, or highlighting different players. There's so little chalkboard, and even when they do it, it's barely meaningful...it's more of "here's what happened" after a score rather than a "here's what they want to do in this situation" at *any* point during the game. Tripp has done so little to help me further understand the inner workings of the game, and I kind of resent him for that. He simply falls short of what I would expect of a color analyst, regardless of his homerism.

And yeah, he's annoying. The stammering! When is he going to seek out a voice coach...it's his fuggin profession, for chrissakes???

It's been a while since we've had a bag-on-Tripp discussion. That felt good.

This is a self-perpetuating problem that the hockey media has created for itself, at least that's what I have always theorized. Hockey broadcasters in the United States continue to intentionally water down their commentary for the sake of "appealing to the new or casual fan." I think by doing so they damage the appeal of the product and create a chicken and egg scenario where they feel they have to appeal to ignorance amongst their viewers, but one of the main reasons their viewers are ignorant is because they are not educating them! I find it hard to believe that someone would be turned off to hockey because the strategy talk and analysis was too complex for them. If anything, it seems that there would be an appeal in being able to appreciate the complexities of the game and a thirst to understand more.

If you want others to take you seriously you have to take yourself seriously. All you have to do is take a look at what ESPN did with the World Cup and their current Premier League coverage to see an example of the opposite approach. Here is a sport that most Americans never watch, with many newcomers turning in for the World Cup. The old approach, the current hockey approach, would be to hire a team of familiar Americans to talk down to the audience and treat them like idiots. Instead, ESPN hired Martin Tyler for the World Cup and now Ian Darke for their Premier League coverage, two of the most respected commentators in the sport who know the game and can offer insight to even the most die hard fans.

For what it's worth, I think the NHL on NBC has been taking some good steps in this direction, and I applaud them for that.