View Single Post
Old
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Eric Desjardins?

Okay, here's the skinny on Desjardins

The guy exploded out of the gate last season as one of the top scoring d-men in the NHL for the first 20 games or until he went down with a long term injury.

Nevertheless, he finished with 24 points in 45 games last season then 4 points in 6 games of the playoffs.

Here's some pros about Desjardins:

a) A proven winner; can pass on his wisdom and experience to all of our d-men particularily Komisarek

b) A solid leader; the captain of the flyers at one point in his career

c) Able to play in all situations of the game (PP, PK, 5 on 5)

d) Provides the habs a real PP QB option on the 2nd unit (So no more Bouillon and Dandy playing on the 2nd PP unit)

e) After our top 6 d-men, we are in trouble depth wise especially if we lose one of our top end guys... Instead of relying on Dandy like last season, Desjardins can fill that void nicely with elevated minutes until needed.

f) perhaps being reunited with muller, and carbo entices him.. correct me if I'm wrong but he was a teammate of Gainey's briefly

g) gives an extra couple of years for our raw d-men prospects not to be rushed into the league too fast

The Cons:

a) Age = 37 years old. (I think he still has good hockey left in him)

b) Has had some long term injuries the last couple of seasons

c) Which of our other 6 d-men sit in order to make room for Eric? Of course injuries will happen, but until then, what do you do? Move Dandy to forward? Is there room for him there? That can get a little tricky but I'd love the depth of 7 strong.

The biggest question to me is what kind of salary will he command? Really, I have no clue with the way things have been unfolding so far in this silly season. Of course, I would only take him if the price is right

On the other hand, this post could all be for nothing as Desjardins and the flyers could be close to a deal to finish his career where he has been for 11 years already.

I just havent heard much about Eric's situation

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote