"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"
View Single Post
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Originally Posted by
Paid attendance for the Whale / Wolfpack over the last five seasons
12-13 4402 23rd
11-12 4573 23rd
10-11 5695 12th
09-10 4188 18th
08-09 4190 18th
Paid attendance for the Moose over their last five years of their existence.
10-11 8404 2nd
09-10 8086 2nd
08-09 7769 2nd
07-08 7807 2nd
06-07 7769 4th
One fan base showed that they supported AAA hockey, the other has not. As much as anything else posted here, this shows to me at least not to expect an NHL team in CT anytime soon.
Not the "they don't support AHL" argument again. I'll give you 5 reasons the AHL doesn't sell in Hartford vs. Winnipeg...
1. Buildings: XL Center is a dump and discourages people from attending events there. On the other hand the MTS Centre was relatively new and state of the art.
2. Other hockey competition: 2 other AHL teams within 45 miles (Sound Tigers & Falcons), Yale hockey and Quinnipiac hockey and the Danbury Whalers. Winnipeg had the whole market to themselves and is there anything else going on in the dead of winter in the Peg?
3. Rangers affiliation: Like it or not this is a big issue (especially the dying days of the Wolf Pack brand - 08-09 & 09-10)
4. Ever since 07' when AEG won the XL Center management bid they've put minimal effort in promoting the team (and might be out in the next couple of days)
5. It's was easy to support True North when they were rumored to be exploring purchasing an NHL franchise.
Wouldn't it be wiser to look at the attendance of both AHL teams in CT as opposed to just Hartford?
View Public Profile
NHL Hartford's albums
Visit NHL Hartford's homepage!
Find More Posts by NHL Hartford