View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
So the only credit you will give Sommer is for converting players who are NHL doubtfuls. No its beyond that, because based on their picks Demers, Braun, and Irwin were all highly doubtful conversions. You are simply refusing to give Sommer any credit for putting them in roles in which they were able to succeed. The standard seems to be whatever you want it to be which is an impossible standard to follow. So far an incredible steady supply of defense men have come up from WOR. That should be considered good by all standards.

On the forward side in recent history the odds were severely against both Desi and Wingels
I don't care about where someone was drafted, I care about their level of play before they got to the AHL. You can't talk about Irwin's "draft position", because he was undrafted. That means the Sharks had a pretty idea of what he was capable of when he was signed. Demers had the puck-movement and offensive skills in juniors, the only question on him was whether he could handle "defense". And I was calling that Braun would make the NHL back when he was a sophomore or junior. So in cases of obvious talent before they got to Sommers, no, I don't give him credit.

As for Desi and Wingels, you are making my point. The only players Sommers can actually "develop" are grinders and similar players. Wingels may prove to be more, but so far he's looking like a 3rd-line energy forward who has a bit of scoring ability. Not a "skill" player.