"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"
View Single Post
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by
Not the "they don't support AHL" argument again. I'll give you 5 reasons the AHL doesn't sell in Hartford vs. Winnipeg...
1. Buildings: XL Center is a dump and discourages people from attending events there. On the other hand the MTS Centre was relatively new and state of the art.
2. Other hockey competition: 2 other AHL teams within 45 miles (Sound Tigers & Falcons), Yale hockey and Quinnipiac hockey and the Danbury Whalers. Winnipeg had the whole market to themselves and is there anything else going on in the dead of winter in the Peg?
3. Rangers affiliation: Like it or not this is a big issue (especially the dying days of the Wolf Pack brand - 08-09 & 09-10)
4. Ever since 07' when AEG won the XL Center management bid they've put minimal effort in promoting the team (and might be out in the next couple of days)
5. It's was easy to support True North when they were rumored to be exploring purchasing an NHL franchise.
Wouldn't it be wiser to look at the attendance of both AHL teams in CT as opposed to just Hartford?
# 2 and # 3 are points I did not consider. Thanks for enlightening me.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by IceCapsFanNL