View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Ya I heard of this too, He was also telling Hartley during training camp that he wants more shots. It is understandable, I like the fact that this team doesn't give up many shots but when a goalie doesn't get a shot for a long period of time they don't get into the game as much. The same reason for if one of our forwards wouldn't get a shift in a while they would come out with cold feet.

If the team continues to play like this he's gona have to find a way to get into the game. limiting a team to just 19 shots should be an easy shutout for Kipper.
Which would likely mean a lengthy adjustment period. At his age, and this stage of his career, I doubt it's easy to change something so significant about his game quickly, if at all. Might be a good reason to go with Irving in that case; low shot totals might not be such a big deal for him. Either that or trade Kipper and acquire a goalie that works with Hartley's system.

But regarding shot totals, using the total quantity as the basis to measure success isn't the greatest way to measure success. It's the quality of shots the matter much more. The Flames may be limiting their opponents to 19 shots a game, but if the majority of those are high quality scoring opportunities, then it's not surprising that Kippers numbers will suffer.

Meanwhile, while the Flames had 47 shots on net against Emery, how many of those were weak wristers with no traffic in front? Shots like those, don't have much of chance of going in, but just inflate the total number of shots, while at the same time, give the opposing goalie a confidence boost.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote