Thread: Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Blues Prospects
View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I am not blaming the actual city at all. I think we have poor player development below the NHL level. It seems like most of our prospects that succeed develop in somewhere other then our AHL team. Even Backes spent 4 years in the NCAA first to develop.

Guys like Sonne, McRea, Allen, Della Rova seem to be almost worst players then they were when they first arrived to the AHL.

These are prospects. The problem with them all is they may not have been NHL players to begin with. Sonne put up a lot of numbers, but was never much of a skater and there was a lot of questions about how his game would translate to the NHL. Look at what McRae did in the CHL - point per game pace, nothing more. He was the 13 forward on team USA at the WJC.

Allen is a goalie and like all goalies he has a long way to go. Plus the fact that there are two dman playing w/ the Rivermen that has NHL upside is Fairchild and Woywitka who is a journeyman.... He has been up and down for sure, but he is only 22 at this point. He has a couple of years to go before we can really worry about him.

Della Rovere was a projected bottom 6 in the NHL. He just turned 23 and we have not seen what he can do at the NHL level because we have had too many forward.

It seems like a lot of prospects have a good decent first season in Peoria but then they seem to get worse the next season and so on.

Sophmore slump could explain 2nd year drop offs.

Also Peoria just has not been a very good team in general the best season has been when Payne was coaching them. But they often are not a playoff team less then half the time lately.
The biggest problem with lack of development w/ the Rivermen may actually be lack of NHL talent to begin with. Oshie, Perron, Backes..... were all able to bypass the AHl because when they entered the league - well, we stunk. No other way to put it. The Blues were horrid and those players made the jump because we had no depth.

The only true question mark I have about development has been McRae, but he didn't dominate the CHL like some of the other guys did their respective leagues. Is he a legit top 6 center? I don't know. He doesn't get the chance because he is behind Berglund and Backes. And for the 3rd line this year, we couldn't put him in because we would have 1 too many forwards on the team. That is why Steen is playing there.