View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The team is looking up. Everyone is excited about the future because we got a high pick last year and when Koivu left the sky didn't fall.

Just too bad we weren't smart enough to deal him when he had value. We'd be that much further ahead. And I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm slagging Saku, I'm not. But the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back and besides, we let him walk for nothing anyway.
No, I understand what you mean - and you aren't wrong in the sense that trading him would have been better than what we did. But the problem with Saku wasn't that it was ever "too late" to trade him - he didn't physically fall apart or anything, it was poor asset management but in half because Gainey's idea of an upgrade was the Gomez trade. Letting Saku walk for nothing wouldn't have hurt as much if he was replaced properly.

Likewise, I agree Markov isn't worth more than the team - if some desperate team wants to give the Habs McD or OEL for Markov, I agree, you do that. But the Rangers love their American players, it looks to me like McD is pretty much untouchable, as much as we all want the one who got away.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote