View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
The Habs really like Bournival in the AHL , he's gonna play in the NHL soon and he will be a regular on a checking role, for a long time . That trade was a mistake back then , and i'm not changing my mind. ROB was 7th or 8th on their Dman depth chart , he didnt have his place in the Habs regular top 6... God was even scoring in his own net .
The Avs valued Bournival very highly, I believe they even traded up in the round to get him, so it was a relatively high price to pay, but IMO it wasn't a mistake. O'Byrne's impact was immediate on a team that was too small and too soft on the blueline, and he and Liles worked extraordinarily well together. The change of scenery did him some good since he had become superfluous in Montreal.

The Avs realized they had to address an immediate need and did so very well. It's just too bad they proceeded to overdo it afterwards and force O'Byrne to pair up with a bunch of defenders who are nearly as bad at moving the puck as he is. Prior to this season he provided much needed physicality and was solid on the PK. The fact that he's struggling is as much on the very poor makeup of the defense overall as it is on him.

Bournival will likely be a very, very solid player in the NHL, but he won't be a star. Decent, not spectacular. We can only hope guys like Nermark, Heard, and/or Condon make us forget about him.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote