View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It's a bit hard to compare Rob's trade with the EJ trade . O'Byrne wasnt even a regular with the Habs , no matter how good they were on the D at that time . He was getting nowhere with Montreal, pretty much a trade bait . EJ, on the other hand , was a first overall draft choice with insane upside .
I'm only comparing it insofar as the rationalization that the Avs likely felt they had other players in the organization that were similar to Bournival, just like they felt they had other prospects (Elliott/Barrie) that could eventually do what Shattenkirk did.

Again, Montreal had the luxury to hold onto O'Byrne, they had (and still have) a lot of defensive depth, and I believe they were doing relatively well at the time of the trade. There was no urgency whatsoever on their part, so they could wait for the right price, much like Gillis is waiting until he gets what he feels is good value for Luongo. The Avs were not dealing from a position of strength.

We may end up regretting the deal, but I still feel we got great value in return regardless, though I acknowledge it was a potentially high price to pay. Let's keep in mind though that while Bournival may end up being a solid NHLer for years to come, he was a player taken in the third round. I don't think he's going to be a big star, but if he does, I'll eat my words.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote