View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Buffalo notes from Friedman's 30 Thoughts:
Quote:
17. Undoubtedly, the Gillis/Laurence Gilman eastern excursion was to scout potential trade partners and free-agent targets. The two conferences don't see each other this season, so you don't get that close-up look if you stay home. Don't forget, the Canucks pitched Cody Hodgson to Washington last season for John Carlson. Hard to see Capitals GM George McPhee parting with the young defender, even with that new hairstyle.
First time I heard that, I must've skimmed over that.
Quote:
24. Teams are looking for defencemen and the Buffalo Sabres have eight. But Sabres GM Darcy Regier says he's told teams, "Give me a reason to trade one." So far, he feels he hasn't received a good enough answer.

25. Regier's got to be unhappy right now, though. The Sabres' 2011-12 was ruined after they wilted against the Boston Bruins. Last week, they stood up to them physically, then came back to win after falling behind 3-1. But the weekend -- blown out in Montreal, beaten by Florida at home -- was such a disappointment. All of the momentum was destroyed. They got good return for Paul Gaustad last year, but have to replace him. Buffalo is the worst faceoff team in the league.

26. Martin Biron tells a great story about walking into the Buffalo room for the first time, seeing large photos of Rob Ray, Brad May and Matthew Barnaby posing as boxers and thinking, "What the heck is this?" It'll never be like that again, but the team is really trying to re-establish an edge. That's why they got Steve Ott and John Scott. It's why Marcus Foligno's development is so important. But they lack it on their blue-line. Teams are walking through their zone.

27. One opposing executive on white-hot Thomas Vanek: "He has Alexander Semin's skill without Alexander Semin's inconsistency."