View Single Post
Old
02-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Inflict
Viking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The fourth line has been completely useless in the offensive zone this year. The cannot even maintain a presence in the offensive zone. The best defense is a good offense, IMO. They cannot score when the puck is in their end (unless Vesa Toskala is in your net, but that's another story).

None of Wright, Slater, Thorburn have any offensive skill. All 3 are strong defensively, IMO. Adding a player like Machacek that can create some openings in the offensive zone, while still having Wright and Slater to be rocks in the D zone, will help that line out. I don't expect them to start scoring much, but maybe they can start taking the game to the opponent, rather than simply defending. And Machacek is no slouch defensively. He is not a Wright, but he is far from terrible, he is at least average (better than a Kane, Miettienen, etc).

Just think he would balance the line better and allow the line to start punishing the opponent and wearing them down in the offensive zone rather than being stuck in our own end defending.

I am also a fan of versatile rosters, in Machacek you have a guy who can step into other roles as well and succeed, rather than 4 guys who cannot play anything but 4th line purely defensive roles (Wright, Slater, Thorburn, Peluso).
I don't think Machacek would be a good fit on the 4th line. We already have 3 scoring lines and adding more offence to our 4th line wouldn't make any sense. Wright is more of an energy forward, and while he hasn't put up any points, he does well harassing the opposing team in their end and creating space for his team mates. While it would be nice to score some goals, it is not their job. We have 3 other lines that need to pitch in on that front.

IMO, Machacek would be a decent fit on the 3rd line with Poni and Antropov untill Wellwood finds his game. Otherwise, he is better served in the minors until he picks up his own game.

Edit: Saying Slater has no offensive game isn't right at all. He is terribly underrated offensively. If he was on a line with other two-way players, he could easily rack up 30 points a season.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote