View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
kihei

vCash: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
So, if I may ask, why would you take something with as little value as a 2nd round pick off the table for Luongo? I understand not including Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri, JVR, the 1sts, and even the likes of Gunnarson, Grabovski and Kulemin, but I can't comprehend how a 2nd round pick could be a non-starter in a Luongo trade. I have to think that if Nonis was offered a deal for Luongo with a 2nd round pick being the centerpiece he would be thanking his lucky stars. With all due respect, what gives?
In a draft year that is as strong as this one supposedly is, that likely early second rounder could be a very good player, possibly more than that. And it's that possibility that I am willing to bet on. There have been so many instances over the decades where the Leafs modus operandi was to squander young players and/or high draft picks on aging veterans. It is a strategy that has significantly contributed to decades of mediocrity. We have a promising young team now, but not one that even if all goes well is likely to challenge seriously for the Cup. We desperately need more elite young players, especially at centre, but elsewhere as well. I think the Leafs building through the draft is the only sane thing to do. Not that the words sane and Leafs are often used in the same sentence....