2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)
View Single Post
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Originally Posted by
Interesting. Lets be glad these clowns don't work at Hockey Canada.
- Who left Pietrangelo off the ballot? C'mon, he's probably our best d-man at the moment.
- Only two votes for Letang? He should be firmly entrenched in the top-5 at this point.
- I'm not surprised at Perry actually getting votes, but I am surprised that he was unanimous amongst the panel. While there is a lot of hockey left between now and Sochi, he's gotten off to a slow start this year, and will really need to pick it up to overcome some of his other deficiencies, in my view.
- Surprised Bergeron was a unanimous selection as well (not that it doesn't make sense). Shows he's no longer flying under the radar when it comes to selecting these teams like he was in 2010.
- Tavares with only 4 votes? OK....
- Lucic / Getzlaf as the 13th forward? We can quibble about Getzlaf (I don't think he should be there, but that's a personal view), but Lucic? He would add absolutely NO value to Team Canada on the international ice, none. Poor skater, not versatile, can't kill penalties, not great defensively, and would be exposed on a scoring line....I just can't imagine a knowledgeable hockey person would have him on this team when we have so many better options. If you're looking at the Bruins roster, look no further than Seguin (or even Marchand, who I'd take over Lucic as well at this point).
- Benn? Whatever, he may play himself onto the team and he wouldn't be a horrible selection. I still like Taylor Hall a lot better for a winger role on the larger ice surface, though.
As an aside, if this team were chosen right now
Marty St. Louis would absolutely have to be there
; he's inarguably our best winger, and him and Stamkos are playing fantastic hockey together. Our goaltending situation has also improved, I'd say - I'd be comfortable going into the Olympics with Price and Luongo with the way they're playing right now.
Agree 100% You prefer Stamkos at center with MSL on the right side? Or Stamkos on LW with perhaps Crosby at center and MSL on the right? I think it will be critical with ZERO prep time to come up wherever possible with a couple of line combinations that are teammates on their club teams, i.e. Stammer and MSL. Bergeron Seguin Hall and Ebbs... so long as they got the numbers to back it up and are playing well...
View Public Profile
Mr Writer's albums
Find More Posts by Mr Writer