Thread: Proposal: Hiller to Toronto
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
That photo wasn't necessarily to single out Kostka, but our defence as a whole.

I have nothing against Kostka, but there is a reason he:
1) Went undrafted
2) Played for 6 AHL teams in 6 years
3) Didn't play an NHL game till the age of 27

The reason for all of the above is not that he was learning and prepping to be a #2 NHL defenceman.

Like I said, if Kostka is your #5/6 you are alright with that. Playing 25.5 minutes a night (the 5th most ice time logged by anyone in the NHL this season) is not where he should be...
He was initially signed to Rochester and played 1 game after his final college season. He proceeded to move from Rochester to the Buffalo Sabres NEW AHL affiliate the Portland pirates. After his contract was up with Portland he was signed to a 1 year NHL contract with the Florida Panthers. He was returned to their AHL affiliate which was Rochester at the time. Florida's farm team then moved from Rochester to San Antonio the following year. He was acquired by the Tampa Bay lightning via trade to push for a Calder Cup Championship.

So he really only played for 4 AHL teams. With the Marlies being the 4th and final team before being called up to the NHL. He was slated to make the NHL when at camp for the Panthers, however was bumped down as the final cut.

Bumped by

Brian Campbell
Dimitri Kulikov
Jason Garisson
Mike Weaver
Ed Jovanovski
Erik Gudbranson
Keaton Ellerby

Hypothetical facts only pain part of the picture. Let me hear your actual analysis of his game play rather then irrelevant facts.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote