View Single Post
Old
07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Habnot

vCash: 500
It is totally absurd to hear some of the talk radio guys or posters on this board discuss the UFA process. It literally seems that all these so called "fans" want is to sign anyone at any ridiculous price and for 5 years to boot. I'm sure the day that one of these contracts hangs like an albatross around one's neck, they will be the first to scream that our GM had no clue offerring such a huge deal for so long.

Lucrative long-term deals are franchise killers, unless you can land an elite player, and I do mean elite. All the UFA's that have signed have been over valued and have signed for a minimum 4 years. As far as I am concerned, if I am an owner, I want my GM to bring me back value. Yes winning is the most important result, but not to the detriment of fiscal sanity.

Gainey is doing a remarkable job. First, he has retained all his own UFA's at a resonable price. (It is really clueless to say the Habs have not signed a UFA, Kovy, Huet and Boullion are all important pieces to this team.) Secondly, the Habs have one of the healthiest salary structure in the NHL, giving them flexibility if necessary and with the exception of Bonk, everyone is paid fairly but not overpaid (value) to reasonable length deals. I'm not sure there are many teams in the NHL that can say the same. Finally, he is making room for his young talent and sticking to it.

But of coarse, in this world of quick sound bites, splashy signings, appearances over substance, Gainey does not get the recognition he deserves.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote