View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thanks... I'm pretty surprised that there isn't an open hockey or a drop in hockey in Pittsburgh. Here in NJ we get some really good open hockey games going at about 730 AM every day.
We had a rink on the Southside when I was younger, and I spent a ton of time over there playing pickup. It was about ten minutes from me, I just had to go over West End bridge and up Carson Street.

I played a ton of ice and roller back then and I was in a semi-pro roller league with a couple of former Phantoms (RHI). I won't say his name, but a former Phantom was my pivot on that team and he ran the Southside rink. He got busted for ripping off the rink and ran it into the ground. The city closed it down and it never re-opened as far as I know. I heard rumors kids were sneaking in there and having rave parties.... Breaks my heart because I spent so much time there.

Most pickup for ice is in the outer districts now... Moon, Cranberry, etc.

It just blows coming home and you have to drive out to these rinks that aren't very close and pay for stick time. I'm just spoiled having outdoor rinks everywhere up here.

There's nothing like playing pickup at night on an outdoor rink with the snow falling down. Now that I just play for fun I don't really enjoy playing inside anymore. I'm just getting weird like that I guess...