View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Who would be the established 2nd liner?
Who knows. In all likelihood, it is still Booth. But if he really doesn't live up to his cap value, it could a FA, a trade target, or even a guy like Higgins/Raymond brought back and plugged in there, and the other filling a 3rd line spot.

The point is, Gillis isn't going to pencil Jensen in to the starting lineup over the offseason. There's a chance Jensen does crack the lineup with a mindblowing camp...but it's about depth for Gillis, not just development.

He seems to take the view of...young waiver exempt players on ELC are a convenient way to extend the depth chart an extra rung. Why have 9 players for your top-9, when you can essentially have 10? There's been a pretty clear pattern with that. Although AV seems to quite like Jensen, so there is that outside chance Gillis breaks the mold for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I like Schroeder and have since they picked him, but Jensen's trajectory is on another level, so it's not a great comparison. I think Jensen is going to be one of those rare home-run picks from a late 1st round.

At less than a million on his contract, if he's ready to go he'll be in the line-up next year, probably playing with Schroeder. The Canucks will absolutely need to cut a few corners cap-wise so they can improve the roster in other areas.

I guess we'll see, but I think he'll be ready.
I'm extremely high on Jensen as well. I have really high hopes for him and don't doubt that on an awful lot of teams, he'd be starting in the NHL next year...but this is Gillis we're talking about here. Who is at times, frustratingly patient...and seems to weigh added depth above nearly all else. It's why we saw the stupid waiver-wire tapdancing and Schroeder sent down to start the year, over Ebbett or Vandermeer straight off the bat. Depth > Everything for Gillis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I like to think this too, but a GM needs to have a backup plan.

And you usually can't sign one of those in early October when your prized young player has fallen flat on his face in training camp (or struggled out of the gate in the regular season).

I'd wager that the Canucks plan for a roster without Jensen next season, and that if he either makes the team out of camp or earns a permanent spot in a call-up then they'll address that situation.
It's this. I expect Gillis will plan for Jensen to be in the AHL...and if he makes a case that he absolutely cannot be left off the opening roster with a mindblowing camp, he'll deal with that when it becomes an issue. But he's not a guy to put all his eggs in the Jensen basket right off the bat, barring some sort of injury situation or a real significant cap crunch.