View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Yes, Jackson was a phenomenal player, but he was also part of a plan to screw his teammates out of a World Series. So what if he played well, he still did nothing to prevent it. Plus, I'd still like to know when he was good in the series. Was he just getting garbage hits when the team was already out of it in games or was he consistent throughout?

He shouldn't be in because of that. And neither should Rose. Not betting on baseball has been an established rule since essentially the formation of the professional game, a sign warning people not to do it is in every MLB clubhouse, the consequences for getting caught were well-known, he still did it anyway, and then he lied for a couple decades about it, too. Sorry, but if you intentionally light yourself on fire, I'm not going to be moved to tears when you suffer a few burns. Plus, for the folks that mention that he always bet on his own team, can you say with 100% certainty that he didn't change his managerial style, in any way, shape, or form, to either keep people in during games he bet on that he otherwise would've taken out, negatively affecting later games that he didn't bet on, or rested players in other games to make sure they were ready for games he was betting on?

Jackson and Rose might very well go down in history as two of the best players ever not to get in, probably only behind Bonds who I honestly don't think will be let in because he's burned too many bridges and the HoF is very vindictive with that sort of thing, but big whoop. The Hall of Fame, despite as messed up as its become, isn't a birthright.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 02-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote