View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I like to think this too, but a GM needs to have a backup plan.

And you usually can't sign one of those in early October when your prized young player has fallen flat on his face in training camp (or struggled out of the gate in the regular season).

I'd wager that the Canucks plan for a roster without Jensen next season, and that if he either makes the team out of camp or earns a permanent spot in a call-up then they'll address that situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I can see Jensen making the team briefly but Canucks want their players to be able to play 100% within the system and I don't see Jensen being there yet. He will need at least half a season to figure things out, pick up on his defensive responsibilities, learn to keep his feet moving (which was a problem last time he was in the AHL), etc. I hope he surprises, but I wouldn't count on it. (Look at Gustav Nyquist, you could argue he was 'ready' last year but he's still paying his dues a year later.)
I agree with both of you, but next year will be a unique situation with the cap going down by +/- 6 million dollars. I don't think Jensen, no matter how he looks, would be pencilled in for more than a 9th forward role, and the team will certainly have a contingency option behind him. I just believe Jensen is talented enough -- and physically developed enough, importantly -- to do a bit of on-the-job training. The way AV raved about him last year makes me think he's a kid that he'd like to work with.

My point wasn't necessarily that Jensen will make the team, mind you, just that it's a possibility. Heck, there's even a longshot chance Corrado makes the team (sub 600k caphit!) for a stint if he has a strong camp. The overriding point is that the Canucks cap situation is not all that dire. With Jensen/Lack on the team (if it happened), 7 million to sign a 13th forward and 2 defensemen leaves a lot of wiggle room.

I expect there to be some very good players available for lower-than-anticipated cap hits this summer -- including maybe a few that take 1-year type deals and hope teams have room the following season.