: Post-Game Talk:
Hawks - Sharks = Hawks Win 5-3
View Single Post
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Join Date: Jan 2004
My thoughts on the game:
- Toews was the best player on the ice. That breakaway he had was a thing of beauty (minus not scoring haha): hound the puck, coral it and somehow make a nice deke with a player draped all over him. He seems to be rounding into form and was all over the ice last night
- Shaw had his best game of the year. Hopefully he is figuring out how to be a centre in this league.
- Games like this are what drive me crazy about Bryan Bickell. If he could just bring this type of intensity all the time he would be an absolute force in the bottom 6 whether he scores or not. He has such a rare combination of size, strength and speed that he can be an absolute beast physically when he wants to... unfortunately he has never brought it consistently.
- Good to see Saad get rewarded for his hard work. Ironically, I thought it was one of his poorer performances this season (which is not a big insult since I feel he has played excellently all season). Hopefully this gets the monkey off his back and he can start to put up some points. As Eddie O pointed out during the game, Q deserves some credit for sticking with the kid on the top line despite not putting up points.
- Kruger continues to prove he belongs. Good to see Q took my advice (
) and put Mayers on his wing to take draws. Aside from faceoffs, I really can't believe how much he continues to impress me. He is always in the right place at the right time defensively and plays a gritty game (especially for someone of his size). I really can't say enough about him.
- Speaking of whipping boys who are proving many people wrong, Nik Hjalmarsson has been IMO the best defenseman on the team this season. His confidence with the puck seems to be 100X what it was last year. As a result, he is taking his time with the puck (instead of playing it like a hot potatoe) and making good decisions and crisp passes. This newfound confidence with the puck added to his already impressive defensive games makes him a very valuable part of this team.
- Crawford gave up a couple bad ones (though there is definitely some blame to go around), but bounced back and made some solid saves after letting in the 3rd. Not every game is going to a 2-1 affair, and it was good to see Crawford hang tough after a couple bad goals and come back strong.
- As coldsteel has already pointed out, I think we have to start giving the coaching staff a little more credit here. The PK has obviously been amazing, but I feel like the coaching staff has done an admirable job of preparing this team for the shortened season, especially with such a short training camp.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Chelios