View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Past performance is the best predicter of future success. The youngsters played well last year and I don't see them all of a sudden becoming useless. Sure there will be bumps along the way... look at Carey Price... but that doesn't mean they won't be better for it down the road.

You're talking about 18 and 19 year old kids man. Most players aren't even in the league at this age.
No ****, there is a REASON why they aren't in the league at that age. Throwing a talented teenager into a mans game in a main role is asking for injury and developmental problems. Gagner and Latendresse off the top of my head both suffered.

I didn't say they would become useless but this could easily stunt their development. Thanks for bringing up Price, another player rushed into a position he couldn't handle when he was handed the reigns right before the playoffs and he hasn't looked good in the playoffs since.

Quote:
So Paajarvi sucks then? If ALL the players don't pan out they're a bunch of failures? And that guy is 21 years old. Do we totally write him off as a bust because he hasn't been great from day one?
Paajarvi is having very real problems yes, he was poorly developed and it is showing. But hey it worked for Crosby right?

Quote:
Crosby came into a horrible environment and did well. So did Yzerman, Sakic etc... Most high picks get drafted by crap teams man and they do fine.

The Oilers aren't contenders and might not make the playoffs this year? Sure. That doesn't mean that we should write off those players. There's no doubt that Edmonton needs to get some blueliners and goaltending. There's no doubt that team needs to learn how to play D. But they're starting with a stable of talent and that's always a good way to begin building your team.

Just relax, it's 8 games in for Pete's sake.
Every prospect is Crosby I guess. Dumping players into leading roles without veteran support is stupid, they develop bad habits and stunt their growth. It isn't "8 games" it has been several seasons of these players getting tossed into the fire and having to grind it out for dead last place with guys like Horcoff and Whitney.

You are on Edmontons side and I prefer Detroits model, which one has had more success?