View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I respect your opinions, but man, I would hate to see your criticisms if we were 0-9-0.

Lucky enough to stay competitive if they get things straightened out? Looks to me like we are more than competitive even without having things straightened out.

Yes, we had 2 awful, horrible losses. But other than that we got 11 points against the toughest schedule in the NHL- TWO regulation losses in 9 games.

We've got offensive issues- no doubt about it, but other than that, there is no way in the world I would call this start ugly. Look at who we have beaten- Minnesota, LA, San Jose, St Louis- not exactly chopped liver. And we had a +9 goal differential against those 4. Yes, we had to go to SO to win a couple, but so what? Just means we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league in their building.

We may have the best defensive team and goaltender in the entire league. We gave up 13 goals on the 7 game trip to some of the best offensive teams in the league- 5 of our 9 games have come against top 8 offenses in the NHL.

Finally, I cannot believe people are trying to find negatives in last night's win. We just completely obliterated a St Louis team that has been the best home team in the NHL the past 2 seasons- (6 regulation losses in 45 games). We won 6-1! Yes, we got a little sloppy after we built the big lead, but that happens to almost every team that builds a big lead- we were ahead 5-0 with 10 minutes left in the second period for crying out loud. Almost everyone on here yesterday was just hoping we wouldn't get embarrassed- no negative in last night for me.
The negatives in last night's win were quite obvious from about the midway point in the second period through most of the third .... there was no trying to find them, they leaped off the screen. Four penalties in a ten minute span is not a positive. Being unable to clear the zone during those kills is not a positive. Fisher, Spaling, and Legwand sucking at the dot was not a positive. That the team won in regulation does not negate the fact that it made numerous mistakes and did across the entire road trip. Luckily, Elliot sucked last night and Pekka was on his game.

The team played an outstanding first period. It played a good first ten minutes of the second followed by an abysmal last ten minutes of that period that carried on through a significant portion of the third. When we lose games, there are still positives in most of them to build upon no matter how outrageous some of the threads here get. When we win, there are usually the exact same errors balanced either by luck or our goalie standing on his head while the opposition is off. Both of our regulation wins featured a goalie having an off night ... we've yet to beat a goalie having a decent night in regulation or OT.

How many nights do you think we can count on 4 goals from 11 shots across 30 minutes of play?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote