View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah I wasn't gonna say it, but what if they never figure it out like so many FA busts we've had to endure here!?

Again, it would be nice if like so many teams our younger prospects could be behind these 'stars' contributing to make up for what the big boys can't do on the regular.

Like you said about the Bruins, seems like strong teams keep coming up with guys that can play, not just spot fillers.
Yeah, exactly. What always blows my mind is that doesn't it make more sense from a business standpoint to see if a guy can play in NY while he's on a cheap UFA deal, or better yet, an entry-level deal, instead of spending $6MM+ per year for the rights to experiment? They always say that you can't rebuild in NY, but honestly, after the dark ages, can anyone really say that the fans won't flock to this team year after year?

Honestly, when was the last time an NHL team won a cup with a team that was anchored by hired guns? I suppose you could argue that the Ducks had Pronger, Selanne and the Niedermeyer brothers, but they also had a group of youngsters who carried the load offensively in the playoffs.

Boston hit the jackpot with the '06 draft, but they also were able to scuttle Kessel for a huge return when he was still manageable financially. Teams want young talent, even if they aren't cut out for your team in particular. What they don't want are guys who signed huge deals and are on the wrong side of 30.

I'm rambling, but it's the same concept that chaps my ass every year.