View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Your example of the Ducks supports my point. They also had young ELC guys like Getzlaf and Perry contributing to their success. I still like Weber, but don't see these players (like him) who are paid so high, as adding to a team's chances, unless the team has young talent that is cheap and contribute a lot. The Canucks, as I understand this more fully, are not going to be able to have such players (and be competitive) until they acquire the ELC players who are top talent.
Right, but Niedermayer was making significantly more money than Weber. Weber's contract is a bargain in comparison.

I agree with you otherwise, but I think you're being a bit reductionist when you say it's just ELCs. The key for any team that's successful is to have players that outperform their caphit. Period. ELCs can be the most artificial case of this, but having the Sedins at 6.1 million, Kesler at 5 million, Burrows at 2 million (even at 4.5 he should still provide some savings), Edler at 3.25 million and then 5 million... these are all players providing significantly more value than they're being paid. My quick guess would be about 12-14 million dollars in savings.

You can combine this with Gillis's ability to sign UFAs (his own pending ones and actual UFAs) for fair cap hits that don't match actual over-inflated market value... and you end up with a team with significant cap savings all over the place. That's why reasonable but slightly over-paid contracts like Ballard and Booth end up being both acceptable risks and over-exaggerated eyesores to Canucks fans.

I think a true franchise defenseman like Weber (and a small handful of others) are worth it. I think even at 8 million he provides surplus value because the amount and type of ice-time he soaks up provides added value throughout the rest of the line-up.

If Suter had been interested in Vancouver, I would have gladly paid him more than Minnesota did.