View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Beardy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
The nucleus created by those players is indeed astounding, especially when you include Faulk in the mix -- not as a long-term signed guy but as a piece of the delicious pie. What team wouldn't want that to build around?

Personally if the Canes were able to extend Semin even for 2 more years I'd probably do cartwheels most of the way out to PNC. I'd be all for putting ink to paper, today, regardless that I know it's not practical or rational.

That said I just can't see Semin sitting down to even listen to a deal until the offseason, knowing full well that many GMs are going to be looking at this season as his resume... maybe even more than his years with the Caps.
Honestly, I say start the negotiating now. Semin chose to come to Raleigh, and its paying dividends for him. We stuck our neck out for this guy, gave him an elite center to anchor his line, gave him the time on the PK he wanted, and we're letting him just go out there and have fun. More importantly, the fanbase really truly appreciates his play on the ice, and we want him to sign long term.

Lets put it this way. Last year, Eric Staal finished the season dead last in +/-. Through 8 games this year, all with Semin on his wing, he's currently third. THAT is the value he brings to the team, and its something JR should not let walk away.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote