View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
No ****, there is a REASON why they aren't in the league at that age. Throwing a talented teenager into a mans game in a main role is asking for injury and developmental problems. Gagner and Latendresse off the top of my head both suffered.
Latendresse could've eaten a few less big macs.

Some players are ready and some aren't. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak... all those guys have shown they were ready. There will be ups and downs man but those guys are good NHL players already.

Yzerman's development wasn't hurt, neither were Sakic's or Lemieux's or Crosby's or most other top stars who started out young with bad teams. And unlike RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz and Yak... Yzerman had NOBODY to play with.

And Yzerman's development wasn't linear either btw. There were ups and downs but at the end of the day he became of the best players ever. The Oiler kids are in way better shape than Sakic or Lemieux or Yzerman were. They actually have each other to play with.
Quote:
I didn't say they would become useless but this could easily stunt their development. Thanks for bringing up Price, another player rushed into a position he couldn't handle when he was handed the reigns right before the playoffs and he hasn't looked good in the playoffs since.
?

So if Price doesn't perform well in the playoffs its because we played him too young? Uh yeah okay... I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that he has some half-assed excuse baked in for him this year if he slumps.
Quote:
Paajarvi is having very real problems yes, he was poorly developed and it is showing. But hey it worked for Crosby right?
Maybe Paajarvi wasn't ready. Maybe he's a bust. But those other players played extremely well last season and there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing them.
Quote:
Every prospect is Crosby I guess. Dumping players into leading roles without veteran support is stupid, they develop bad habits and stunt their growth. It isn't "8 games" it has been several seasons of these players getting tossed into the fire and having to grind it out for dead last place with guys like Horcoff and Whitney.
Its not just Crosby though. Again, most top players come into crappy environments... and still succeed. If a player isn't doing well, then you re-evaluate. But I don't see how that's the case here. Yakupov already has 5 or 6 goals. Hall and Eberle look great and so does Schultz. RNH is a little snakebit but even he has 5 or 6 points.

So what's the problem man? The whole thing is a disaster because Paajarvi didn't work out at the age of 21?
Quote:
You are on Edmontons side and I prefer Detroits model, which one has had more success?
They had the same model. 4 straight years of top ten picks (two top five and a number one) and 6 top tens (three top five) in the span of 8 years.

But yeah, let's pretend like Detroit just woke up one day and decided to be great. Let's ignore the fact that they used to be the Dead Things...

And twenty years from now, you can pretend like the Oilers never tanked too. And you can tell people... let's just be like Edmonton.