View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
3.0 GPA isn't that great in Canada. But I think the US uses a different standard?
in most cases, the equivalent grade at a canadian institution (for undergrad) is harder to attain or represents a higher level of achievement than at an american one.

however, that 3.0 is not nothing. it was a public school, whose rate of grade inflation is FAR lower than at a private school (say, notre dame or miami of ohio, which are two other teams in the CCHA). by a conservative estimate, a 3.0 at a leading public school, which minnesota is, would be the equivalent of at least a 3.5 at cornell (assuming, of course, the same degree/major/sorts of courses).

super off topic but:

incidentally, i know this because i've given almost the exact same exams for almost exactly the same standard intro course at a canadian school, a private american school (research, not straight teaching), and two big public american schools. the highest average grade was at the two public american schools (both also with NCAA teams in the CCHA), where more than 50% of the students had at least one part time job and many had two or three. easily the lowest was at the private american school (a very expensive and good one, incidentally). in the most extreme case, the second highest grade on one exam was 73% and the average was close to failing; those all were scaled up by a superior of mine so that the average was 79%. after the scale that was imposed, that 73% was identical to the one student who read the effing textbook and took notes during class and got 99%. you couldn't pay me enough to teach at that school, and to deal with those spoiled kids and their effing parents, again. at the canadian school, achievement was somewhere between those two, but closer to the big state schools; there, you have the opposite of grade inflation, where sometimes (but not in this class) you have to LOWER students' grades to fit a distribution (there is a cap on the number of As, Bs, and Ds you can give out, but no minimum; designed to curb grade inflation). long story short: schroeder is no rhodes scholar, but i've had NCAA athletes (including hockey) and having seen the extra-curricular demands placed on them, graduating with a B average is certainly impressive.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote