Thread: Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
Craig Button's answer in his recently chat to the question about why he has Rasmus Ristolainen so low says that it's a deep draft to him:

Quote:
Craig Button: First, I think this draft is deep. Second, there is a lot of emphasis on the number beside the player and I try to ensure that I have players in their proper grouping. For example, on my list I have a grouping of players that I see as quite similar in potential from 8 to 20 or so. Rasmus is in that group and if somebody said to me, 'he really should be 8 or 9 or 12, I would see that argument and not raise much of a fuss.
I can see scouts just being disappointed since there were such high expectations for this draft class. IMO, the problem is a lot of the players that were expected to push into the top 10 at the beginning of the season haven't done so and could maybe now be tabled as potential 3rd liners rather than surefire top 6 forwards - like Curtis Lazar, Alex Forsberg and Anthony Duclair.

McKenzie's pre-season top 10 included Lazar, Kerby Rychel, De La Rose and Burakowsky. Some of those players could fall to the 2nd round.

Expectations were very high for Swedes Jacob De La Rose, Andre Burakowsky and Robert Hägg going into the season and it looked like a potential 3-4 Swedes would go in the top 10 picks. While they've all done very well in U18 tournaments, none has set the world on fire playing mens hockey in Sweden. It doesn't mean they aren't good prospects, but they aren't phenoms.