View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i didn't say forward's though. i meant and specifically said centers.
Stastny was the only guy for awhile(before him you basically have to go back to Drury). then we hit gold in Duchene and ROR in the same draft, got Hishon in the draft, acquired Sgarbossa. we also have Malone and Olver who can provide depth, Heard,Condon & Smith in the pipeline.
we didn't have that type of depth before, not at the center position, that's partially why Duchene and O'Reilly made the team out of camp a few years back.
When it came to centers, what was the real need to develop a high end center when you had Sakic and Forsberg as your #1 and 2 for the foreseeable future? Up until the lockout it looked like we would have two superstar centers, then we got killed by the salary cap. Teams claim BPA all the time, but that sort of stuff is taken into consideration all the time. No sense is getting 3 or 4 young hot shot centers when you can spend as much as you want on the two world class ones you have. Drury came on to the Avs as a #3C that eventually allowed them to move Forsberg over to the wing at times. It was more unexpected that he did as well as he did. Hinote was also developed at a bottom 6 center. McCormick became a 4th line center. Richardson was developing into a #3C before he got hurt and never regained form.

Some players the Avs moved to wing before they were given much of a chance at center like Tanguay and Wolski.

I'd actually argue that the Avs didn't even try for a top 6 center prospect in the 95, 97, 98 (switched Tanguay to wing immediately), 99, 01, 02, and 03. Pretty tough to develop one without drafting for one 7 out of 9 years.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote