View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 06:16 PM
ContrarianGoaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think we've improved upon the procedures during the Top 100 lists in some ways, but one thing we have not been as successful at was getting as many European posters involved.
I'd echo the lack of European participation as something that was slightly disappointing. It's certainly not anyone's fault, any voluntary project like this is going to have to just go ahead with whatever diverse or non-diverse group of people end up throwing their hat in the ring, but having more information available would have been very helpful, particularly from Russian and Czech sources.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to dig up information about international goalies and it proved to be a difficult task, particularly for the three non-NHL Euro goalies that came up for voting. Vladimir Dzurilla definitely didn't get a fair shake in the final voting round, and the Jiri Holecek debate involved a lot of guesswork on what European observers thought from tournament awards voting and hearsay from Canadian sportswriters. It would certainly have been nice to read some more primary sources or hear from people who could reliably recall what international observers were saying, particularly in the '70s and '80s.

ContrarianGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote