Thread: Rumor: Pens eyeing Kulemin
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Realistically, yes. Certainly not easy to give up a guy who's proven the ability to score 30 goals with size, but if he's not going to do that again for our franchise, his value may be best used elsewhere.

To me, the question isn't so much about value or impact on the team, it's about how Despres fits into the team, it's whether or not he can be molded into a shutdown defenceman that fits into our long term organizational need on the blueline. If Nonis feels that is the case, then yes, it's probably a deal that makes sense. The Leafs would position themselves to have one of the youngest and highest upside bluelines in the league next year with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Despres, Liles & Rielly, and still have access to Kennedy who's your prototypical versatile checking line forward.

As for Pens fans being 'steamed', that's generally what happens in hockey trades. They're never no-brainers.

Realistically, Sutter isn't the guy we should be targeting. The guy is not anywhere near ready to be a #1C in this league, and would be no appreciable upgrade over Bozak in the position. Sure, he'd be an upgrade on Kadri in the #3 position, but (at least from my perspective) the idea of having a highly skilled 3rd line playing behind Grabovski seems to be a pretty good idea.
Oh, I agree completely about that. 'Steamed' probably doesn't happen all the time, but it's very rare that a deal happens where both fan bases (or even one) are entirely pleased.