View Single Post
Old
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Like Nevesis said, MPF, it's good to have others on here that have played at least a semi-competitive level of hockey or higher.

Skating is not talent or skill like stick-handling is, completely different concept. Skating with the puck and without the puck are two completely different concepts as well. Skating was always one of my strong suits, not being someone who is well over 6' or 200+ pounds.

My uncle had a full ride to Northeastern years ago. He played against MANY great hockey players and some NHL'ers, most notably the Mullens, George McPhee, some other Rangers and Islanders in the 70's and 80's. He said that the difference between making it in the big leagues and not making it was skating. The pros could make cuts that others simply just couldn't make. Skating is a skill that you can craft, yes, but straight line speed is something you either have or don't have.

Derek Stepan simply JUST DOES NOT HAVE IT. I've said for 2 seasons now that if he were to ever work on his speed (he apparently hasn't) that he could be a close to point per game player at the NHL level. He has the smarts, has the shot, has the ability to make plays. His skating simply cannot support his other abilities and it hinders him.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote